Who we are
We're the Parkinson's charity that drives better care, treatments and quality of life. Together we can bring forward the day when no one fears Parkinson's.
Parkinson’s UK has grown considerably in recent years, both in size and complexity, with an estimated income budget of £37m for 2017 and some 480 staff and 4,000 volunteers.
Listening to people affected by Parkinson’s we know they are looking for better treatments in years not decades, and are seeking quality services as standard. We are a dynamic and innovative charity, delivering a diverse range of activity. This includes:
- Driving, supporting and developing ground breaking new partnerships in research and services to make this happen. Our commitment to research has resulted in Parkinson’s UK becoming the largest charitable funder of Parkinson’s research in Europe.
- Our UK Parkinson’s Excellence Network, which brings together health and social care professionals, locally and across the UK, to build excellence in Parkinson’s services.
- Our local information and support service, which works tirelessly to support and advise people affected by Parkinson’s across the UK.
- Our digital transformation strategy, aimed at enabling people affected by Parkinson’s to connect with others and help them manage their condition in new ways, and to help us operate even more effectively as an organisation.
What we do
Explore the boxes below to find out in more detail, what we do:
We provide expert information on Parkinson's
We provide expert information on every aspect of Parkinson's so that people affected by the condition can stay in control of their lives, through:
- our website
- our confidential helpline 0808 800 0303
- our UK-wide team of local Parkinson's advisers
- our information resources
- our self-management courses
There are many ways that you can access our free information and support.
We influence and fund groundbreaking research
We lead, influence and fund research to ensure new and better treatments in years, rather than decades.
People with the condition and their families set our research agenda, making decisions about the projects we fund and working in partnership with researchers at every stage.
We're the largest European charitable funder of Parkinson's research. So far, we've invested over £80million in groundbreaking research.
We offer support and promote opportunities to live life to the full
We offer friendship, support and opportunities to everyone with Parkinson's, their families and carers.
Our local networks allow people to meet others affected by the condition and get involved in local social and therapeutic activities.
Our online discussion forum offers the opportunity to share experiences with other people online.
We campaign and influence
We raise awareness, change perceptions and work in partnership to drive better services.
We campaign to make sure people living with Parkinson's are treated fairly and have access to the support they need.
Through the Excellence Network we work in partnership with health and social care professionals and decision makers to ensure high-quality care for everyone affected by Parkinson's, wherever they live.
We also improve understanding of Parkinson's by changing attitudes and challenging myths.
We fundraise to find a cure and improve life
Without the generosity of our supporters, our work would not be possible. Supporters and volunteers are as vital to us as researchers and nurses.
Our work is totally dependent on donations. It's only with the help of our supporters that we can continue our vital research projects, and provide support and information.